Extension and Information Communication Technology (ICT)
IPO aims to be a premier provider of Extension and ICT solutions in Agriculture so that millions may benefit.
While IPO works in a number of areas, a major focus relates to Extension and Information Communication Technology (ICT). To do this, we work with a range of partners identifying, packaging and implementing best practices in both extension (information Access) and in the use of ICT.
Practical useful tools are collated and delivered through our extension web site Link
IPO distills best practices to provide credible, relevant information to help those helping farmers in developing countries (e.g., e-Afghan Ag). We provide packaged value-added messages on both Agricultural content and delivery methodologies. In particular, we are becoming a widely recognized source to support the use of emerging tools (ICT) and how these can be blended with traditional extension approaches. IPO develops and provides access to training materials and information to help the world's poor. See:
Starting in 2011-12, IPO became an increasingly active partner with MEAS - the USAID project aimed at Modernizing Extension Advisory Systems. IPO
- Led a review of Information Communication Technology (ICT) in extension (On-going) (See Link)
- Co-led with UIUC the development of a series of ICT in Africa (Ghana, Ethiopia and Tanzania) reports for USAID (2012-13)
- Facilitated the USAID workshop in Washington on the use of ICT (2012) to better serve extension.
- Contributed a series of extension fact sheets for MEAS (See Link), drawing on its work published at its extension web site. Link Many of these materials are being translated by National Partners into Arabic and Bangla.
- Co-led the MEAS project (2012-13) helping partners in Bangladesh develop their ICT in Extension strategy.
Where needed, locally relevant and local language versions of materials are developed - usually with and by in-country partners.
More than ever, we need to provide information and knowledge to help poor people in developing countries. Our Knowledge resources provide practical credible extension materials produced and used by UC Davis and other institutions.
"Knowledge is Power" ..... JF Kennedy